In 1854, Samuel Carson left Ireland, found his way to Amboy, and opened a dry goods store called Carson Pirie & Company. The store eventually became the foundation of the Carson Pirie Scott chain of retail department stores. A plaque denoting the site of Samuel Carson's store is displayed on the exterior of what is now the Long Branch Saloon.
55 South East Avenue
Published in: History and Heritage
Published in History and Heritage