The Historic Dixon Theatre has an interesting past, an exciting present and a promising future. In 1920, Leonard G. Rorer, then manager of Dixon’s Family Theatre, announced he had purchased the site of the old Opera House in downtown Dixon for the purpose of erecting the finest show house to be found between Chicago and Des Moines and from Rockford to LaSalle. The Dixon Opera House had opened in 1876 and was the entertainment center of the area until it was destroyed by fire in early 1920. It was completely recontructed in 1922. Over the past 20 plus years, volunteers have spent time renovating the theater and returning it to its position as a fine showhouse that the entire Sauk Valley area can enjoy. Rentals: The seating capacity of the theatre is 1000, with approximately 600 seats on the main floor and 400 seats on the balcony level including the box seats. Some seats have been removed for various reasons leaving the total capacity at 955 seats. Go to the theatre’s website for cost of renting this historic building for your next event.